2022-23 Welcome Letter
September 1, 2022
Hello SMS Students and Families,
I would first like to say, “Welcome to the South Mountain Family” to our brand new SMS families and “Welcome back” to our returning families. I hope you are enjoying your summer and hopefully tried some new activities. I also hope that your child(ren) is excited, recharged and ready to start a new school year at SMS. It is hard to believe that I am entering my fourth year as principal of SMS and I am overjoyed about returning to school.
Changes for the 2022-2023 school year:
- Ms. Juhlin is now in 3rd grade at the Big School and will be teaming with Ms. Simon.
- Ms. Esposito is now in Kindergarten at the Big School.
- Ms. Fortunato is now in 1st grade at the Annex.
- Ms. Sabato - Inclusion Kindergarten at the Annex and will be working with Ms. Giambrone.
- Ms. Stein - Inclusion 3rd grade and will be working with Mr. Charles Kelly and teaming
with Ms. Pitt.
Ms. Torkel (Davis) - Inclusion 2nd grade and will be working with Ms. Tara Marano.
We would also like to welcome new teachers to the SMS family:
- Ms. Tara Marano - Special Education teacher - Working with Ms. Torkel (Ms. Davis) 2nd grade).
- Mr. Charles Kelly - Special Education teacher - Working with Ms. Stein 3rd grade.
- Ms. Erin Dyer - 1st grade Leave Replacement (Ms. Pomeranc). Inclusion section working
with Ms. Roig.
Ms. Jennalee Rainbolt - 2nd grade Leave Replacement (Ms. Winkler). Inclusion section working with Ms. Sinnicke.
Please see the construction updates below for SMS Elementary School and Annex:
South Mountain Elementary School
- The classrooms that required reconfiguration to allow for the new corridor connections including removal of the stair tower have been completed and these spaces are returned to the school.
- The abatement of asbestos floor tile, insulation and ceiling tile have been completed and replaced with new.
- The existing building has a new roof.
- A new playground will be installed this fall.
- Portions of the parking lot and blacktop play area will not be available for the school year.
- The new addition is under way and scheduled to be completed for September 2023.
South Mountain Annex
- The exit from the rear of the building has been closed for the construction.
- The rear parking lot and portions of the blacktop play area will not be available for the school year.
- A new playground will be installed this fall
- The new HVAC units and louvers have been installed in each classroom; they will not be
functional until spring when the new transformer is installed. The existing heating system
remains in place for the current school year.
The new addition is under way and scheduled to be completed for September 2023.
In addition to our focus on rigor and academics, our teachers will also focus on the Social Emotional well being of our students. As we embark on this educational and Social-Emotional journey for the 2022-2023 school year, SMS administration and teaching staff are here to support you and your child(ren). Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns. I am looking forward to the start of an exciting new school year.
Mr. Kevin Mason Principal South Mountain Elementary/Annex
- Wednesday, November 30
- Thursday, December 1
- Friday, December 2
- Tuesday, December 6
- Thursday, December 8
- Friday, December 23
- Monday, December 26
- Tuesday, December 27